This department is working to sensitive the medical students at three areas:
1. Basic principles of medical ethics
2. Medical jurisprudence
3. Forensic medicine derived from ‘Forum’ means court of law.
Forensic medicine is a study and application of medical knowledge for the administration of the justice in court of law.
- Department is equipped with full pledged museum which includes wet specimens,
Mounted specimens, Identification specimens, bones, anthropometric lab, Toxicology specimens,
Forensic weapons etc.
- Department is having its own mortuary block with dissection halls, cold storage, Inquest hall and office rooms etc.
- Forensic medicine department offering a Postgraduate course in Forensic medicine with 3 years Master degree.
- Other areas where this department has got the focus are:
- Legal aspects of reproductive medicine.
- Legal aspects of mentally ill patient.
- Consumer protection Act 1986.
- Suspended animation.
- Postmortem changes.
- Legal aspects of poisoning etc.
- Research is going on anthropometry and dactylography and medico legal cases of the hospital.