The department of pharmacology was established in 2008 and works towards a well set VISION and MISSION under NMC norms with experienced and skilled faculty who have more than 92 publications in international and national journals and 8 projects .Periodic internal and external audit and inspections are conducted and accreditation is obtained from by governing bodies like NMC, NAAC, UGC and ISO.
The department is incharge of the pharmacovigilance cell to monitor and report the adverse drug reactions. Conferences, guest lectures, CMEs and seminars are conducted by the department for recent updates in pharmacology
The courses offered are MD pharmacology,MBBS,BDS,AHS and Nursing.
The curriculum and syllabus is based on Competency Based Medical Education.
Feedback is provided to students by regular mentor mentee meetings
Infrastructure and facilities available in the department :
- Computer assisted learning for experimental pharmacology
- Mannequins for training intravenous and intramuscular route of administration
- Lecture halls for large group teaching
- Demo halls for small group teaching
- Departmental library for reference and self directed learning
- Pharmacology and toxicology museum with history of medicine
- Clinical pharmacology lab for conduct of clinical trials
- Research lab for funded and ongoing projects
The equipments in the department include :
- Actophotometer to evaluate CNS drugs
- Eddy’s hot plate analgesiometer
- Tail flick apparatus
- Rota Rod apparatus
- Isolated Organ bath with spirometer
- Weighing balance
- pH meter
- Audio visual aids like projectors,speakers, smart boards,printers and scanners
- Illustrative charts and models related to pharmacology
- Hardware and software for online teaching and assessment
The passed out Alumni students are well placed in post graduate courses and multi speciality medical facilities . They are made to interact with and motivate the undergraduate and postgraduate students. Innovative methods of teaching and learning like role play, journal club, seminars and quiz are conducted for students. Department faculties guide students to take part in STS funded projects of ICMR. Periodic internal assessment by theory and practical examinations are conducted and feedback is given to students to improve their performance.