Department of Physiology is one of the well-established departments in A.C.S Medical College and Hospital, Chennai. The department has got eminent faculty, well established laboratories, demonstration hall, Seminar-hall cum Library. The department library has numerous books and journals for the use of staff and students. The laboratories are well equipped for learning and research purposes. Haematology laboratory, Clinical laboratory and Experimental Physiology laboratory are for students to acquire knowledge on all physiological aspects of undergraduate curriculum. We also have well established laboratories like Neurophysiology laboratory, Pulmonology and polysomnography laboratory, Exercise physiology and autonomic function laboratory for Post graduate curriculum and research purposes for students and faculty. The department aligns its objectives time to time with the guidelines laid by the statutory body and the institution to improve the quality in academic and administrative fronts. The department adopts quality management strategies in academic activities provided by the University IQAC
The broad goal of the teaching of undergraduate and postgraduate students in Physiology aims at providing the students comprehensive knowledge of the normal functions of the organ systems of the body to facilitate an understanding of the physiological basis of health and disease.
- Explain the normal functioning of all the organ systems and their interactions.
- Assess the relative contribution of each organ system to the maintenance of milieu interior
- List the physiological principles underlying pathogenesis and treatment of disease
- Conduct experiments designed for the study of physiological phenomena
- Interpret experimental/investigative data
- Distinguish between normal and abnormal data derived as a result of tests which he/she has performed and observed in the laboratory.
- At the end of the integrated teaching the student shall acquire an integrated knowledge of organ structure and function and its regulatory mechanisms.